Getting Married in Ireland

The following information is, for the most part, taken from the official Government website; HERE

If you would like information about Getting Married in Ireland - please contact us directly via email:

Every couple wanting to be legally married in the Republic of Ireland, must first contact the Government agency; Heath Service Executive (HSE), Civil Registration Service.

The HSE must be contacted to lodge the couples' "Notification of Intent to Marry" at a pre-arranged appointment. The Notification must be lodged no less than 3-months prior to the intended date of marriage.

You must give notice, in person, at a civil registration service. This applies to all civil, religious and secular marriages. Both parties (of the couple) must attend the meeting.

You can book an appointment with the HSE online via their website HERE or look up individual offices around the country and call them to book directly. If there is some reason why you cannot attend to the appointment in person - you can request to the HSE to make your application "via post". This would be especially applicable for people who live outside of the Republic of Ireland.

When you have contacted the HSE, a Registrar will send to you requirements which you must provide to them at your appointment. This will include ID, proof of address, Civil status, etc. You will also be required to complete a "Data Capture Form" - to take along to the appointment. This document requires information such as your full names, addresses, family names, Civil Status, Witness names, and (in regards to the ceremony itself) if the ceremony will be Religious/Secular or Civil. The date of the ceremony, venue details, and the name of the person performing the ceremony.

(Data Capture Form download here)

Once you have gathered all the required information, you will attend the Notification appointment at an HSE Registration office. The HSE Registrar will work through your documentation and make a decision as to your approval to be legally married. Once approval has been made, you will be given documentation which is to be taken to the person performing your ceremony. This documentation; MRF (Marriage Registration Form), is the actual document which will be signed during your ceremony.

If you have chosen to have a Civil marriage ceremony (ie, the HSE Registrar themselves are performing your ceremony), you will not receive the MRF document - as the Registrar will hold this for you until the day of the ceremony.

If you have given your Notification of Intent to Marry - via Post - you still must lodge this in advance of 3-months prior to your proposed wedding ceremony, but, if you cannot attend at that time in person there is still a requirement to attend the HSE Registry office. This meeting must be done no less than 5 working days prior to your wedding date.

For couples who are living outside of the Republic of Ireland, this must be taken into consideration when you are planning your travel to come to Ireland for the wedding. DOCUMENTATION REQUIRED As mentioned above, there are certain documents which are required by the couple to give to the HSE Registrar when you lodge your Notification of Intent to Marry.

One of the following is required by every person giving notice;

- Passport

- Refugee / Asylum card issued by the Dept of Justice & Equality

- National Identity card from an EU country, accepting them as a travel document

Photo ID documents MUST be in date.

You will also need;

- Birth Certificate

- Proof of address (dated within last 3 months)

- PPS number

(if documents are not in English - then a translation must be provided)

If you were not born in the Republic of Ireland;

If your birth certificate was not issued in Ireland, you MAY need to get an Apostille Stamp. This is to authenticate the document. Usually, you would need to contact your home-country (embassies sometimes can help, but mostly the document would need to be sent back to the country of issue).

If you were born &/or have lived outside of the Republic of Ireland for a substantial period of time, you may also be required to provide a "Letter of Freedom", or letter of civil status. This document stats that you have/are not married in a different country. Again, you may need to contact your country of origin to request this document

In both of the above cases - if you were not born in the Republic of Ireland, &/or have or do live outside of the Republic (even if you are Irish born) - it would be highly recommended that you contact the HSE and advise the of your own circumstance. They will then advise you personally exactly what is required for you.

** If you have any questions on any of the information above - please contact us directly, and we can talk you through requirements.